Lagatar24.com
Language : HINDI
  • Home
  • Jharkhand
  • Bihar
  • National & World
  • Business
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Career
  • Tech – Gyan
  • Opinion
Tuesday, 19 May, 2026
Lagatar24.com
  • Home
  • Jharkhand
  • Bihar
  • National & World
  • Business
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Career
  • Tech – Gyan
  • Opinion
Lagatar24.com
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Jharkhand
  • Bihar
  • National & World
  • Business
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Career
  • Tech – Gyan
  • Opinion
Home National & International

Delhi HC stays MCD Mayor’s notice for re-election to Standing Committee

Lagatar News by Lagatar News
February 25, 2023
in National & International
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Lagatar24 Desk

 

New Delhi, Feb 25: The Delhi High Court stayed the newly-elected Mayor Shelly Oberoi’s notice for the re-election of the six members of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) standing committee during a special hearing on Saturday.

According to Justice Gaurang Kanth, it appears that the returning officer or mayor is holding new polls without disclosing the results of the elections held on February 24, which is against Regulation 51 of New Delhi Municipal Council (Procedure and Conduct of Business) Regulations, 1997.

“From a perusal of Regulation 51, it is nowhere reflected that the returning officer or mayor has the authority to declare an election of standing committee as null and void. It is not out of place to mention that admittedly, the counting of votes and further duty casted upon mayor as in declaring the result of elections held on February 24 shall culminate into the final result,” the court said.

The court ruled that holding a new election on February 27 will serve no purpose.

Two petitions filed by BJP leaders Kamaljeet Sehrawat and Shikha Roy contesting the Mayor’s notice from February 24 received notice from the court.

Counsel representing the petitioners stated that on February 24 the Mayor held elections for six members of the standing committee. On the same day, a notice for re-elections was nevertheless published without the results being announced.

It was decided to rely on Regulation 51, which outlines the process that must be followed for electing standing committee members.

The responses, on the other hand, stated that the election has not yet reached its conclusion. It was argued that the Mayor did not receive sufficient cooperation from the member secretary and technical expert and that the Mayor’s message implied that the procedure had been restarted due to the “unruly behaviour of members.”

The mayor was said to have had no choice but to declare the elections held on February 24 to be invalid. The court granted the respondents two weeks to submit a reply affidavit while staying the contested notice.

Mahesh Jethmalani, a senior attorney, represented the petitioners. The respondents were represented by Senior Advocates Dayan Krishnan and Rahul Mehra.

Share76Tweet47
Previous Post

Jamshedpur: Ex-ASI convicted in Varsha Patel murder case of Telco

Next Post

Ramgarh: Police arrest two with arms in connection with Manoj Munda murder case

Related Posts

Supreme Court Upholds Order to Remove Stray Dogs From Public Spaces, Rejects All Petitions

Supreme Court Upholds Order to Remove Stray Dogs From Public Spaces, Rejects All Petitions

May 19, 2026
Petrol and Diesel Hiked Twice in Five Days, Prices Rise by Rs 4 Per Litre

Petrol and Diesel Hiked Twice in Five Days, Prices Rise by Rs 4 Per Litre

May 19, 2026
VD Satheesan Takes Oath as Kerala Chief Minister, 20-Member Cabinet Also Sworn In

VD Satheesan Takes Oath as Kerala Chief Minister, 20-Member Cabinet Also Sworn In

May 18, 2026
Rupee Hits Record Low Against Dollar, Falls 2.30 Rupees in a Single Week

Rupee Hits Record Low Against Dollar, Falls 2.30 Rupees in a Single Week

May 16, 2026
SP Leader Azam Khan Convicted in Provocative Speech Case, Gets Two-Year Sentence

SP Leader Azam Khan Convicted in Provocative Speech Case, Gets Two-Year Sentence

May 16, 2026
NEET 2026 Paper Leak Probe Narrows to 20 Key Suspects, CBI Takes Over

NEET 2026 Paper Leak Probe Narrows to 20 Key Suspects, CBI Takes Over

May 13, 2026
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • About Editor
  • Advertise with us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Lagatar News (Lagatar24.com)

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Jharkhand
  • Bihar
  • National & World
  • Business
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Career
  • Tech – Gyan
  • Opinion

© 2024 Lagatar News (Lagatar24.com)